Sunday, October 10, 2010

New Camera

I saved some funds and used birthday money to buy a FujiFilm FinePix S2550HD camera. It’s so sweet, the nicest camera I’ve ever owned. It’s got all of the proverbial bells and whistles, which I spent a good part of last night figuring out.
I walked around the harbor today, taking photos of boats and seagulls and flowers. I felt a little self-conscious about carrying and pointing a camera, like I was a spy or lonely perv. I wanted to try the burst mode, but I felt a little shady standing in the parking lot, trying to get a photo of a flying bird. It was almost comical because the harbor is packed with seagulls, but every time I pointed the camera in one direction, a bird would fly over my head from another direction. It was almost like they were plotting together to make me spin around wildly. The final insult was when I lowered my camera, a great blue heron soared right over. I actually jumped up and down with annoyance. I’ve read that in photography, patience is as important as talent, so that’s clearly something I’m going to have to work on.
I daydream about being a freelance photographer and writer, traveling to tourist attractions and historical sites and publishing my stories. And then when I made enough money, I’d buy a sweet RV and travel the country year round, documenting and describing parks and urban projects and festivals. And then I’d win the Nobel Prize and then... OK, my daydreams do evolve to the point of delusion. I accept that. Until all that happens, I’ll post things here. Here’s my first photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment