Sunday, October 24, 2010

I Feel The Earth Move Under My Feet

I have been reminded yet again by "CBS Sunday Morning" that we Californians are long overdue for The Big One, the catchphrase used for the massive earthquake that will basically level the state. The San Andreas fault runs just north of where I live, and is the geological culprit that gets the most press. But the state is rife with faults, any one of which could be ground zero for a big, destructive quake. 
It’s easy to shrug it off and just go to the beach. Aside from insane real estate and traffic, life is California is enjoyable. The weather is temperate, the people are pleasant, the scenery is lovely. There’s a reason people come west to live.  But it is on the cusp of several tectonic plates that are rubbing against each other, and each time a deadly earthquake hits someplace else in the world, we Californians are reminded that it’s not a matter of “if”, but “when”.  And when it does happen, will we be prepared? And what will our enjoyable life be like afterward?
I didn’t live here when the Northridge quake hit, but my friends who did all have horror stories, ranging from broken plates to sudden unemployment, due to destroyed businesses.  We occasionally have little trembles, but aside from being unnerving, they don’t disrupt my day that much.  The Northridge quake was a 6.7 on the Richter scale, and caused billions of dollars in damage. The death toll and the damage from the Big One, potentially a 8 or above, will be unimaginable. The state will be crippled, no matter how many drills and reinforcements are put into place now.
Geologists and seismic researchers remind everyone that that there’s no way to predict a quake. They can watch the buildup of stress along a fault line, and point out where the weak points may be, but when a quake starts, there’s usually only a few seconds of rumbling before the shaking begins. We are warned to have a plan and an emergency bag. I have one with a first aid kit, some cans of tuna and some water, but it’s impossible to know what will be needed, if power and water is destroyed.  My sad little red backpack doesn’t seem like it will be of much help if utilities are knocked out for weeks or even days. I also worry about my dogs’ survival.  These creatures are my kids, for all intents and purposes, and how will I keep them healthy and safe in a massive disaster?
Life is a gamble, and there isn’t a place in America that isn’t prone to some kind of natural disaster, whether it be hurricane, floods, tornadoes, and crippling blizzards.  All I can do is make sure I have my emergency pack and my camping equipment in a place where I can find them quickly, and just pray I’m home when it happens, so I can take care of myself and the dogs.  Beyond that, I’m powerless, and I know it’s pointless to worry.  Now I think I’ll go sit outside in the warm sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment