Thursday, October 21, 2010

Little Red Schoolhouse, Malta, Colorado


Schoolhouse
Originally uploaded by WhizzoChocs
I used to drive by this place when I went to visit my parents. It always struck me as so desolate and sad, and the perfect place for a ghost or a murderer's hideout. It's located in Malta, a dot of a town near Leadville, which is itself a dot of a town. It used to be a bustling railroad stop, but now it's a depressing turn in the road, surrounded by slag heaps and debris. This schoolhouse has no sign that I could ever spot, so I never knew the history behind it, but it's clearly taken care of by someone. The view from the front door is amazing; the Twin Lakes and an unobstructed view of the Rockies. I always wondered what it would be like to have been the teacher here. It would be very cold in the winter, but lovely the rest of the year.
Sadly, my parents moved away from Chaffee County, so I have no reason to drive through Leadville anymore, but I think on my next trip to Colorado, I may take a spin through the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment