Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Happy Little Thing for September 7

I was dreading my first period class when I saw the class list.  Thirty-nine sophomores is bad enough, but 29 of them are boys. My experience has been that classes are always more difficult to manage and engage if there's a gender imbalance. Too many girls means drama.  Too many boys means 56-minute pissing contests. Even though it's early in the year, I'm cautiously delighted with this group.  Many of the boys are friends, and they're genuinely very, very funny. So far, they're courteous and just a little squirrely.  We have to spend a lot of time together, especially during standardized testing, when all the testing is done in the first period class for the whole week. I hope this group stays this entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment